Forget the long lines and expensive tickets of traditional tourist sites. There’s a better way to explore the French coast—on foot. Grab your backpack and lace up your walking shoes for a four-day walk on the GR 34 from Saint-Malo to the magical island-abbey of Mont Saint-Michel. There’s so much to discover along the way—charming seaside towns, incredible local seafood, well-preserved relics from Hitler’s Atlantic Wall and picturesque rocky points with amazing views of the English Channel. This route guide helps you make your dream trip a reality, describing the trail in detail, helping you find food and accommodations along the way and making sure you stay on trail with walking directions and GPX tracks.
This route guide includes:
– For this section of the GR 34 as a whole: a route preview, with narrative description, map, elevation profile, important stats and suggested stages
– Helpful trail information including difficulty, signage, directions to the trailhead, tips on making the daily stages shorter and links to additional resources, including Explore on Foot’s flagship book, “Explore Europe on Foot”
– Planning tips like how best to find accommodations in the rural French villages along the way and what nearby tourist activities are worth a visit
– For each day on the GR 34 from Saint-Malo to Mont Saint-Michel: a narrative description of that day’s route, map, elevation profile, walking directions, information on culturally significant things you encounter along the way, the services each French town on the route has (ex. accommodations, toilets, tourist information offices, public transportation)
– Labeled and easy-to-follow GPX tracks
– Plenty of photos of what you’ll experience on trail
Note: Although these books are available on the Kindle platform, you don’t need a Kindle to purchase and read them. The Kindle app, which is free and can be downloaded to any smartphone, works great too!
Username and password info are trail-specific and can be found in the “How to Use the GPX Tracks” section of each route guide.